Earlier this year I got focused and lost 20lbs and have kept it off! Since a lot of people have asked me about it, I will show you what I did to become more disciplined in this area.
It really is about discipline, isn’t it?
I took a 3 pronged approach to losing weight by changing my diet, exercise semi-regularly and taking supplements.
Today’s post will focus on my diet.
Here’s the problem. I have a history of eating bad stuff all day everyday. I am a meat and potatoes guy. I love hot rolls and butter. I can drink sweet tea by the gallon! I knew this lifestyle was not healthy and needed to change! I wanted to find a diet that could be a doable part of my lifestyle, for the long haul.
The Slow Carb Diet
The Slow Carb Diet fit the criteria for me. It is simple – which makes shopping a cinch. It is portable – I can follow this diet at home or on the road. It is sustainable – it cuts out the highs and lows that some diets create.
Each meal includes 3 things:
- A protein. (chicken, beef, fish, eggs, etc.)
- A legume. (red beans, black beans, black-eye peas, etc.)
- A vegetable. (salad, spinach, green beans, broccoli, etc.)
- Chips and dip.
- Anything that is white or could be white.
- Regular soft-drinks and sweet tea.
Mexican food is a staple in my diet. This works well with Slow Carbing. No matter what town I am in, I can usually find a restaurant that has fajitas. I order chicken (protein) with no tortillas or rice and ask them to substitute the rice with extra beans (legume). To drink, I have a lot of water, unsweetened tea, or an occasional diet soda.
Each week I pick one day to cheat – usually Friday or Saturday. On this day I each whatever I want to. In fact, I go crazy with it! The cheat day is good for at least two reasons:
- It tricks you body to not slow down it’s metabolism. When we alter our diets our bodies kick into survival mode and slow down burning calories. By cheating one meal or one day a week, you keep your body guessing.
- The cheat day really helps you psychologically. It is easier to stick to the diet during the week when you know you can satisfy your craving for bad carbs on the weekend.